Wednesday, May 13, 2015

After hour trip to the doctor

Yesterday when I was pulling Lucy up after changing her diaper I heard her little arm pop. I thought nothing of it because her little body seems to always make popping noises when I move her. It freaked me out when she was younger but I soon learned it was nothing  to worry about.

She cried afterward I pulled her up, but I honestly didn't think much of it. She was tired, so I laid her down for her afternoon nap. That evening I got together with some friends that were in town for dinner. Lucy was a little fussy, but overall seemed to be just fine. Little did I know that her elbow was out of socket the entire time!

Finally, that night when I had changed Lucy into her jammies and was nursing her before I laid her down for the night I noticed something really wasn't right. Lucy always seems to have her hands up on her face while she nurses, she loves to rub her little eyes and doesn't stay still at all. I noticed that her sweet arm was just hanging limp to the side. When I tried to move it she bit down on me super hard and whimpered. It was obviously hurting her! After a quick call to the after hours clinic, we were on our way to figure out what was going on.

The visit really wasn't bad at all. They quickly popped her elbow back in place, told me I wasn't a terrible mom, and taught me how to pop her elbow back into place if it happens again.


 Waiting for the doctor.

After her elbow was back in place! She went back to her happy self so fast!

They told us it was a good thing we came in when we did. If you wait longer than 12 hours or so the area swells and the joint won't pop back into place as easy. The doctors end up having to perform surgery to get everything back in place. Phew, so grateful we went in!


1 comment: