Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Lucy's Birth Story

On Monday October 19th I went in for my 39 week Doctors appointment. Like always, they started by taking my blood pressure. It was reading even higher than my past measurements and so the nurse took it again only to confirm my blood pressure was at 157/92. 

When the Doctor came in he immediately told me that he was nervous about my high blood pressure. He explained that he could put me on bed rest to keep it lower, but that he felt like he would just be waiting for me to get sicker. With me being a couple of days over 39 weeks he felt it was best to induce labor.

I was told that we would be admitted into the hospital that night. I would be given medication that would help "ripen" my cervix (I was still only measuring at a one) and in the morning pitocin would be started if I hadn't gone into labor on my own by then. "I like that" is what I told him. Secretly, I was wanting to cry and give him a ginormous hug! Although I loved the idea of going into labor on my own, I was so ready to be done! Jordan and I were giddy as could be leaving the office. We were going to have a baby!!

Jordan and I spent the day getting things ready. We ate yummy food and enjoyed our time just he and I. We planned on going into the hospital around 6:00 or 7:00 that night, but were told it was too busy and to wait for a call. So after dinner what did we do? We went to Nickel City. And had a blast!!

Our last dinner just he and I!

We finally received a call at 9:00 pm and were told they had a room for me. Jordan had given me a Priesthood blessing a couple hours prior. The blessing was so comforting and gave me such peace. I was told that my experiences would strengthen my faith and testimony in a loving Heavenly Father. I was promised that as I pleaded with God throughout the whole process my prayers would be answered according to my desires. What a promise.

And here was the last picture I took in front of that blue wall! I can't even express how ready I was to get that baby out!

Blurry, but that is the face of a girl who doesn't know what's coming. ;)

It was at 10:30 pm that I had my first dose of the medication. I was told to try and get some sleep because I could have a long night ahead of me. I felt uncomfortable and crampy, but was able to sleep a little bit. Nerves were preventing a good rest more than anything. My second dose was given 4 hours later. I started having contractions at that point. I was in and out of sleep, but I felt okay. My last does was given 4 hours after that. I was having contractions often at that point and I was definitely feeling them. Unfortunately, I was still at a one. All that pain and I wasn't even dilating! Because I was having regular contractions, but still hadn't dilated anymore the Doctor decided to put in a foley catheter. Basically they put a big water balloon above my cervix to put pressure on it so I would dilate. With the pressure of the balloon and my regular contractions I was given an epidural just a short while later. I cannot tell you what a blessing that was! I felt like I was finally about to relax and I even took a nap!

I was given pitocin a short while later. Even though I was only given a small amount Lucy's heart rate started dropping after each contraction. They were worried about her and stopped it all together. We were worried, but knew we were in good hands. I prayed for Lucy's health and for my body to move forward as it should.

A few hours later I was dilated to a 4. Pitocin was started again and this time Lucy's heart rate remained stable. In a few hours I measured at a 5. We were feeling so hopeful and felt like we were finally moving forward.

8 hours went by. I wasn't progressing at all. The Doctor came in and told me that I needed to mentally prepare myself for a C-section because things were taking so long. I was told that we would continue to wait as long as the babies heart rate seemed stable. I couldn't help but feel frustrated and helpless. MY body was what needed to change and I had no control over that in any way. My pitocin levels were increased and then decreased over and over again because they were making my contractions too frequent. I tried to nap but could only fall asleep for a little while. Lucy's heart rate was really high, but stable. I prayed so many times I felt like I was in a constant prayer.

Finally, I started progressing again. It wasn't fast, but I was progressing. We were patient and just after 2:00 am on Wednesday I measured at a 10. At 2:07 I started pushing. Once Lucy had started making her way down the birth canal my mom and Jordan noticed that her head had a gash in it and was bleeding. The nurse ran and grabbed the Doctor to take a look. He had no idea what caused the trauma and explained that he was worried. Her head seamed to be extremely swollen and he was worried that my pelvic bone wouldn't be able to fit her. He wanted to try and use forceps but didn't dare because of the trauma she already had. Lucy was also transverse and so she had to be turned. Her head was so swollen he wasn't able to tell where her face was and so he turned her posterior first, only to learn that was the wrong way and she had to be turned again. 

Two hours of hard, exhausting pushing went by and the Doctor told me it was time to get my second wind. I probably would have laughed if I had the energy. At this point the nurses had put me on oxygen and after each contraction and its set of pushing I was literally falling asleep. I had gotten maybe 5 hours of sleep since I entered the hospital and my body was utterly exhausted. My Doctor expressed his worries that this baby wasn't going to fit. He was worried about how big she was because of how big her head was seeming. He told me that it was a very real possibility that he would have to push her back up the birth canal so that he could perform a C-section. I had been pushing for so long and could have died when he told me that. I was terrified. And I could tell he was nervous too because he wouldn't even make eye contact with me. He just told me to push as hard as I could.

I have never prayed so much in my entire life. I was begging after every push that I would have the energy to do it again. "God, I can't do this again. I am completely and utterly exhausted. But if I can't do this then they are going to have to cut me open to get this baby out. Please. Please, help me. I can't do this on my own."

And then the nurse would tell me. "Here comes another contraction, get ready to push." 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Two more times. And I had done it. And so I would pray again.

Having Jordan and my mom there was so important. They were so encouraging. But there was no doubt that everyone in that room was feeling nervous.

We soon learned that there was meconium and so the respiratory nurses were called and were ready to make sure Lucy was breathing okay when she arrived. Extra nurses were called in at the very real possibility that her shoulders were not going to fit through my pelvic structure and they would have the help push her out. I spiked a fever. At 5:08 Lucy was born. 

The whole process from start to finish was the most terrifying and hardest thing I've ever done. When Lucy came out she wasn't breathing. Her arms and legs were limp and they couldn't get her to react to their stimulation. The nurses were able to suction some liquid out of her lungs and get her to cry just a little after minutes and minutes of waiting. After I was stitched up the Doctor began leaving the room, only to turn around and say, "We all have a Heavenly Father to thank tonight." Jordan and I were brought to tears. How right he was. 

After what seemed like forever, they gave her to me. I felt as if I couldn't even hold her because my body was shaking so badly. I took off her hat they had put on her to look at her head, only to see a large hematoma that seemed to be growing. The nurses immediately took her away from me and ran her to the NICU.

Jord went with them and I stayed on the bed. The next thing I learned was that her blood glucose levels were critically low and they had to put formula through a tube in her stomach and give her sugar water through an I.V. immediately. The stress and trauma of my labor had put Lucy in stress for too long and this was a result of it. What a blessing it was that she was rushed away for her head trauma. They were quickly able to see that her glucose levels were too low and act on it before it got worse. Meanwhile, they brought me down to my new room. Lucy was able to come back into my room with me a few hours later but was taken away from me often to have her glucose levels checked. Both her and I were put on intense antibiotics because of my fever and to prevent/stop any possible infection. 

Lucy made improvement quickly and the Doctors were really happy about it. Although, every new Doctor and nurse that saw her reminded me of how terribly beat up my daughter was. Her head shrunk 2 1/2 inches in the first 24 hours. Her glucose levels were staying stable and all other tests came out fine. We were so blessed to be able to take her home with us on Friday. She has been so strong and is doing so well now. I am completely amazed by her strength.

Below are pictures taken during labor and the couple days after at the hospital :)


They would only let me have ice. BUT, I could have yummy flavoring with it! Jord made me this coconut lime ice. It was so delicious. I don't ever remember holding it myself. My mom and Jord were always feeding me. The royal treatment, I tell you.




 This was taken during my three hours of pushing. I was so tired.




 I love this picture with all of my heart.

 Lucy with Dr. Wosley! We were in such good hands.




Lucy, my nurse Emma, and I. Because we were there for so long we went through 2 other Doctors and 4 nurses before we had our dream delivery team. :)

Poor little swollen head!





Her head. They believe with me haulting at a 5 for over 8 hours caused her head to be suctioned at I was contracting. What a little trooper!

 And look at all of that beautiful hair!


Lucy's going home outfit. :)


So after a total of 31 hours of labor and 3 hours and 1 minute of pushing, Lucy Michele McKee came into the world weighing 7 pounds 14 ounces and 20 1/2 inches long. She has changed our lives and our hearts in every way possible. We could not be more grateful for a loving Heavenly Father and the angels that surrounded both her and I throughout the entire process.

6 comments:

  1. Maddie you are a trooper!! Thank you for posting your story- I have been wanting to hear it! I am so so glad that your sweet Lucy is such a strong little girl !! What an amazing story. Way to go to the both of you- I'm sure that was exhausting in every way and I'm glad now you can enjoy your sweet little angel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Brooke!! We are so happy she is finally here! I wish you lived closer so we could get together! Sure miss you!

      Delete
  2. Maddie!! I am so happy for you and and that your little baby is doing so well. She is beautiful. This makes me excited and extremely terrified for child birth (but mostly excited). Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kenze!! I sure love seeing what you and your hubby are up to. You guys have such a fun life, I'm so happy for you! :)

      Delete
  3. Maddie, you are so incredible. You are so loved, on earth and in heaven! I already love little Lucy and can't wait to officially meet her! You inspire and amaze me! I am so so glad that you are both okay...you are both troopers! And that pic of Jordan is absolutely perfect! Melts my heart. I love you! Can I say that enough?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the sweetest! We love you so much and can't wait for Lucy to meet her aunt!

      Delete